We need rules in order to prevent chaos. Rules ensure that we have order and they help us to make the most of whatever situation we find ourselves. The library is no exception. Yes, we have library rules to ensure the smooth running of the library. The rules in the library also help to keep you safe.
Today we will take some time to look at some library rules. Stay tuned for some fun learning. Please be reminded that self-education for the rest of your life is one of the best gifts you could and should give to yourself. One of the main reasons we use a dictionary is to find the meaning/s of words. Can you think of other reasons we use a dictionary?
Ok, check out this list below and see if you thought of these.
- Look up the meaning of a word. This was said above.
- To check the spelling of a word.
- When you need to know the plural form of a word.
- To learn how to pronounce the word.
- Need to know the part of speech? Check your dictionary.
- We sometimes use a dictionary to find the synonym or the antonym of a word.
- To see how to use the word in a sentence.
According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, a rule is ” a prescribed guide for conduct or action… An accepted procedure, custom, or habit,” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rule).
Some of the Rules at the TGHS Library
With the above said, let us look at a few of the rules we have in the Tivoli Gardens High School Library. Please remember that these rules are not shackles, (what does this mean?) but they are guides to keep you safe and to help you to make the most of your time here in the library and also at school.
Here are a few basic rules
1. Do not eat or drink in the library. Give two reasons why we should not eat or drink in the library.
2. Enter quietly if you must speak with your friend, do so softly. Why do you think we need to be quiet in the library?
3. Leave your bags on the green shelf at the entrance/front of the library. Can you think of one reason you are asked to leave your bag at the front?
4. Do not remove the chairs from the tables. Use them where they were placed. Do you think this is a silly rule? Explain.
5. Do not play games on the computers. What do we mean by a computer virus?
6. Return your books on time.
Check out this cool poster below. Remember, if you read the same thing more than once, there is a strong possibility that you will eventually learn the content. Go ahead and check out this infographic with pictures to help you learn the rules. Please look below.
I created a short video as part of our lesson about library rules. In the event you missed this class or would love a refresher, then please take a look at this video. Go ahead and click on the video below.
Please discuss the following questions.
- What are rules?
- Why do we need rules?
- Do you like having rules? Explain.
- Why do we need rules in a library?
Can you spell these words? If not, learn to spell them before you attend the class.